Sunday, December 4, 2016
Our area is known to hold high hazards of radon poisoning. My parents-in-law and husband died of cancer far too young. One thing they had in common was living in the same tall home with a basement. Radon exposure 15-20 years ago is one possible culprit. Our current home has now been tested for radon. We will have results in a few days. Regardless of the outcome, we are going to have a company come install radon release pipes and other safety measures. I am not taking chances with the health of my children and myself. I will not take these calculated risks with my children.
Just two days ago, our North Clackamas School District sent out a letter recommending every single home be tested for radon. Radon poisoning symptoms resemble those of lung cancer: a persistent cough that doesn't get better, difficulty breathing, chest pain, the coughing up of blood, wheezing, hoarseness and recurring respiratory infections such as pneumonia or bronchitis. (Another culprit of non-smoker's lung cancer may be asbestos in old buildings.)
I appreciate having information on radon testing and treatment to clean our home's air. I appreciate taking steps toward our family's long term health.