Over a decade ago, a good friend taught me how to make jam. Each year I try at least one new recipe. I have canned berry jams, salsa, pickled watermelon rind, tomato sauce and paste with seasonings, pitted plums, sliced pears, apple sauce, and others I don't recall. My specialty has been berry jams. I love tossing berries into the blender, boiling the sweet pectin berry concoction, and moving easily from start to finish. Adding lemon or lavender creates a twist of flavor. I love simple. I love simple with a twist.
My personal recipe:
- Follow the directions on various pectin recipes.
- Make it once by the recipe, and then EXPERIMENT!
- Substitute honey for sugar.
- Reduce sweetener.
- Add in other flavors found in your herb cabinet: chamomile, lavender, etc.
- Use whole pureed fruit (whole food) in place of juice for jellies.
- When in doubt, puree it.
What are some of your favorite preserving projects and shortcuts?